End the Hunger in P.E.I. campaign raises $850 in first hour of weekend fundraiser – The...

Angel

CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. —

Every person needs to eat, but not every person can afford to.

That’s why the Great Enlightenment Buddhist Institute Society started the End the Hunger in P.E.I. campaign – to help put food in the bellies of people in need on P.E.I.

“The Island has accepted us, given us a place to stay, to practise what we do, so this is one of the ways we can give back and contribute,” said Venerable Irvin of GEBIS.

Monks from GEBIS and volunteers were at the Confederation Court Mall on Saturday, collecting monetary donations for food boxes for the campaign, which are given to families, seniors homes and shelters.

People offered donations and in exchange received a sandwich, a bag of cookies or rolls the monks made.

Within the first hour of the event, all of the rolls were gone and $850 was raised.

Irene and Robert Walker of Charlottetown went to the mall specifically for the fundraiser.

“We had been reading on Facebook about the monks and we thought it was a really good cause,” said Irene. “There’s not enough help for people who are doing without.”

-the-hunger-in-p-e-i-campaign-raises-850-in-first-hour-of-weekend-fundraiser-the-journal-pioneer.jpg

Venerable Pei and Venerable Sam of the Great Enlightenment Buddhist Institute Society hold some cookies that were given to people who donated to the End the Hunger in P.E.I. campaign on Saturday at the Confederation Court Mall. – Katherine Hunt

The End the Hunger in P.E.I. campaign started in 2015 with the monks making bread and distributing it.

“We realized a lot of people were in need of help, so we stated making our rolls,” said Irvin.

Last Thanksgiving, the campaign grew, with the addition of food boxes, to include more items like cereal and canned food.

It has since grown to take place once every two months.

There were 242 boxes donated in December and 238 in February.

“At first we wanted once every month, but it wasn’t really practical because you have to do the fundraising, prepare the boxes,” said Irvin.

Since not everyone can make their way to a local foodbank, the monks also distribute the boxes to the homes and shelters of those who applied for a box.

Jeana MacIsaac has volunteered with GEBIS since the Thanksgiving food boxes. She said the best part is getting the food to its destination.

“What I love about this kind of volunteering is we deliver right to the houses, so we collectively get together, organize it with people who give us donations like potatoes, then we go all across the Island,” she said.

People in need can apply for a food box by filling out a form on the About Monks Facebook page.

Thank you
https://www.journalpioneer.com/news/local/end-the-hunger-in-pei-campaign-raises-850-in-first-hour-of-weekend-fundraiser-296776/