Life as a monk for the young and old – Nation – The Star Online

Angel

GEORGE TOWN: Dressed in a traditional brown robe with a bowl in his hands, 12-year-old Chong Zhi Cheng waited patiently in line to begin his 6.5km journey on foot from the Penang Buddhist Association in Anson Road to the Kek Lok Si Temple in Air Itam.

He was among 150 monks and nuns who took part in an alms-giving ceremony.

The walk was part of the 10-day monastic retreat held at the Kek Lok Si Temple from Dec 14 for participants aged eight to 75 to experience the daily life of monks and to learn more about Buddhism.

Zhi Cheng, who had just finished his Year Six UPSR examination, said he was “forced” by his parents to attend the retreat.

“I was reluctant initially but I’m happy that I made friends and learned a lot here,” he said before the start of the procession yesterday.

Zhi Cheng, a pupil in SJKC Yuk Choy, Ipoh, said he enjoyed listening to the teachings by senior monks although he admitted that he fell asleep during some of the classes.

The youngest participant of the retreat was eight-year-old Chai Juen Wei from Kampar, Perak.

“During the retreat, we had to wake up as early as 4.15am and sleep at 10pm.

life-as-a-monk-for-the-young-and-old-nation-the-star-online.jpg

Walk of faith: Monks walking from the Penang Buddhist Association in Anson Road to Kek Lok Si Temple in Air Itam, Penang.

“I also had to be more independent during the retreat,” he said, adding that he cried at night because he missed his family very much.

One of the oldest participants was Tan Teik Woo, 72, who had taken part for the ninth time since the retreat started 10 years ago.

The freelance web designer said he started learning about Buddhism in the 1970s but did not join the retreats as he could not bear to go bald.

“I had a different experience during each retreat. In this retreat, I felt like a child again as the younger participants were jumping on my bed and we had a good time together,” he said.

The two-hour procession started at about 7.30am.

Devotees offered food and red packets as the participants walked to the Kek Lok Si Temple.

Temple spokesman Rev Chan He said food and money collected from the procession would be donated to charitable organisations.

Thank you
https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/12/23/life-as-a-monk-for-the-young-and-old-150-end-retreat-with-almsgiving-journey/