Where do adventurers actually go on holiday? Six pros share their recent trips – National Geographic

Angel

-pros-share-their-recent-trips-national-geographic.jpg

Hugo & Ross Turner, adventurers
Using only fully electric Zero motorcycles, we travelled more than 1,550 miles from London to the Iberian Pole of Inaccessibility — the furthest point inland on the Iberian Peninsula — just southwest of Madrid. Due to the charging requirements and range of the motorcycles, we were on the road for up to 16 hours each day, taking seven days in all. Our next adventure is to reach another Pole of Inaccessibility and continue sharing our findings through social media and VR360.

Lizzy Hawker, long-distance runner & adventurer
My excursion through the Numbur Himal in Nepal had its moments: I failed to achieve my goal of crossing the 17,420ft pass due to avalanche danger; went 24 hours without food; and spent a night sandwiched between bear and snow leopard prints. I finally descended by ropeway to the nearest village for a 14-hour bus to Kathmandu. I was there for the festival celebrating Buddha’s birth. The festival and the spring flowers were a welcome splash of colour, a gentle reminder of beauty in a harsh mountain landscape.

Levison Wood, explorer, author & documentary-maker
In five months I travelled 5,000 miles in a circumnavigation of the Arabian Peninsula in a quest to capture the essence of modern-day life in the region. I was embedded with Shia militia; sailed through pirate-infested waters to the Horn of Africa; and spent Christmas Day in Bethlehem. The TV series aired on the Discovery Channel UK this summer, and my next project takes me to Africa. Now seems like the perfect time to raise awareness about the continent’s endangered species before it’s too late.

Holly Page, freerunner & Adidas Terrex athlete
My year started with a few trips to the Canaries and a 155-mile race across Costa Rica before a ‘bike packing’ trip around Japan. I broke my foot in March, but was running again by June so I entered races in the mountains. I started living in a campervan in the spring and have been roaming Europe ever since. When the Northern Hemisphere gets too chilly and the main racing season ends, I’m hoping to head to Patagonia, combining a few races with some big peak adventures. I hitchhiked through South America years ago and can’t wait to return.

Nino Schurter, World & Olympic cross-country cycling champion
I’ve been training in and around Lugano, in southern Switzerland. I just love the area’s Mediterranean atmosphere and amazing mountain bike trails. First, I went for a long ride and climbed up Monte Gazzirola, then I took some of the most flowing trails back down, ending it all with an ice cream beside Lake Lugano. I’m looking forward to a family holiday in the Maldives at the end of the season but for me, there’s nowhere like Switzerland — the alpine scenery offers the most spectacular mountain biking imaginable.

Maureen Beck, adaptive rock climber
After the Paraclimbing World Championships in France this summer, I went to Chamonix. It’s an area that’s often overlooked by the younger generation of climbers. I was blown away — managing 2,000ft climbs underneath Mont Blanc was amazing. Next spring, I’m heading to the Ruth Gorge in Alaska’s Denali National Park with another amputee to try some classic lines of rock and ice. I aim to do at least one thing a year that takes me out of my comfort zone, and as I’m not much of a winter climber, Alaska will certainly test me.

Published in the Adventure guide, distributed with the October 2019 issue of National Geographic Traveller (UK)

Follow us on social media

Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Flipboard

Thank you
https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/travel/2019/09/where-do-adventurers-actually-go-holiday-six-pros-share-their-recent-trips