‘Out of Your Mind’ -Sometimes That’s a Good Thing – The Good Men Project

Angel

out-of-your-mind-sometimes-thats-a-good-thing-the-good-men-project.jpg

Referring to somebody as ‘out of their mind’ is generally not intended nor received as a compliment. In fact, I expect that the title of this post would lead readers to anticipate another heavy read about the darkness of mental illness.

Not today folks.

Quite the opposite; today I’m talking about the benefits of taking yourself out of your mind. There are many ways that people seek to escape the stresses of daily life – legal and otherwise – to take themselves away from their thoughts and dramas; we all need a pressure valve that we can release sometimes.

Meditation’s what you need (apologies if you now have Roy Castle playing in your head for the rest of the day…); at least, more and more I’m thinking that it’s what I need.

In 2007, after my first recovery, I was very conscious that it wasn’t possible for me to live my life as if nothing had happened and continue as I had before. I’d learned and experienced a lot but I realized knowledge wasn’t enough; if I was to stay well I needed to use that knowledge and apply it in day-to-day life, I needed to do something different. As Einstein said:

out-of-your-mind-sometimes-thats-a-good-thing-the-good-men-project-1.jpg

out-of-your-mind-sometimes-thats-a-good-thing-the-good-men-project-1.jpg

Something that I had repeatedly read and heard about being very beneficial was meditation.

When I take it upon myself to do something I like to do it right and for the most part, I think I’m an all or nothing kind of person, I don’t like to do things by halves. Rather than buy a book about meditation I wanted to find a group, something to be part of. I soon found details of a local group, a Buddhist group that held regular meetings across the local area for people of all beliefs – or none – to learn about meditation and experience its benefits.

Now, amongst the hundreds of books I’d consumed over the preceding years (https://lovelaughtertruthblog.com/2017/03/18/letting-the-light-in-reading-my-way-through-life/) I’d read a lot about various religions and felt an affinity for Buddhism, whose prescriptions for living I found to have a lot in common with modern psychological advice for living a fulfilling, mentally healthy life. Meditation is central to Buddhist practice and evidence repeatedly points to meditation’s benefits, in particular in calming the mind and directing attention away from your thoughts. I contacted the group and arranged to visit the local center to find out more about the classes.

I’m not going to lie, I was reticent. I was looking to practice meditation but I wasn’t seeking to join a religious group, and upon knocking at the door of the Buddhist center not knowing what to expect I half expected to find a cult keen to exploit a mind that was seeking comfort. I needn’t have worried, what I was actually greeted by was a lovely, friendly young woman who cooked me a stir fry and told me about the classes and her own story of how she discovered them and how they had helped her.

I started to attend weekly classes and from the outset it was clear that there was no imperative, no pressure to ‘believe’ in Buddhism, no tenets of faith that you were obliged to subscribe to; it was purely an opportunity to practice meditation, to contemplate the teachings, apply them to your own life and see if they made it better.

It did for me, no question about it, it did.

Meditation practice in its most basic form involves sitting comfortably, silently, clearing the mind and focusing on our breath and observing our thoughts, allowing them to come and go, without ‘attaching’ to them. It helps us to become a detached observer of our thoughts and to recognize them as merely thoughts, things that arise independently of conscious will; it helps us to realize that our thoughts are not us.

The main benefits of meditating for me were that it gave me a regular opportunity to experience calm within a busy life and this extended beyond the time spent doing the meditation practices themselves. With frequent practice, in my case 10 to 15 minutes per day, I found that it was easier to find calm within myself in busy and stressful times, making me less reactive to situations by creating a little space between events, my thoughts and my subsequent reactions to them.

Just because something is good for us it doesn’t mean that we stick with it. The following year, with the birth of my first child and a new job that included frequent nationwide travel, I found myself unable to commit to regular classes and my home practice dropped off too. I’d still go to classes when I could but without the regular commitment, I soon got out of the habit. I’ve picked it up again at times, although life as a busy single parent has stopped me doing much of anything that involves any kind of ongoing commitment.

Really though, it comes down to priorities. For the sake of the benefits I know that it offers it really isn’t too much to find 10 minutes out of my day, and even if I miss the odd day, there is always the next one. A recent wobble has reminded me of the need to look after myself and do things that nourish me and help me to be my best self. Meditation is back on the menu.
Like anything, it’s only by making meditation a regular part of daily life that its benefits will be fully experienced. And it’s no good expecting some immediate, magical transformation into a Zen-like master, standing calmly unwavering in stormy weather. Too often we seek quick-fix solutions when times are hard without investing in ourselves by doing things that are good for us when the going is good – as anybody that wishes to lose weight will know, it’s much better to eat healthily on a day-to-day basis than to find a miracle diet that will lose the many pounds that have caught you unawares and crept up on your hips and belly while living the good life. Similarly, it’s important not to give up if we don’t notice immediate results – if we’re training for a marathon we don’t expect to do one training session and turn into Mo Farah.

Documented benefits of meditation include:

* It reduces stress
* It improves concentration
* It encourages a healthy lifestyle
* It increases self-awareness
* It increases happiness
* It increases acceptance
* It slows aging
* It benefits cardiovascular and immune health

I’d say that was worth 10 minutes of anybody’s day, wouldn’t you?

Originally published on Love, Laughter, Truth

2666.png

The Good Men Project is different from most media companies. We are a “participatory media company”—which means we don’t just have content you read and share and comment on but it means we have multiple ways you can actively be a part of the conversation. As you become a deeper part of the conversation—The Conversation No One Else is Having—you will learn all of the ways we support our Writers’ Community—community FB groups, weekly conference calls, classes in writing, editing platform building and How to Create Social Change.

2666.png

Here are more ways to become a part of The Good Men Project community:

Request to join our private Facebook Group for Writers—it’s like our virtual newsroom where you connect with editors and other writers about issues and ideas.

Click here to become a Premium Member of The Good Men Project Community. Have access to these benefits:

1. Get access to an exclusive “Members Only” Group on Facebook
  2. Join our Social Interest Groups—weekly calls about topics of interest in today’s world
  3. View the website with no ads
  4. Get free access to classes, workshops, and exclusive events
  5. Be invited to an exclusive weekly “Call with the Publisher” with other Premium Members
  6. Commenting badge.

Are you stuck on what to write? Sign up for our Writing Prompts emails, you’ll get ideas directly from our editors every Monday and Thursday. If you already have a final draft, then click below to send your post through our submission system.

If you are already working with an editor at GMP, please be sure to name that person. If you are not currently working with a GMP editor, one will be assigned to you.

2666.png

Are you a first-time contributor to The Good Men Project? Submit here:

out-of-your-mind-sometimes-thats-a-good-thing-the-good-men-project.png

2666.png

Have you contributed before and have a Submittable account? Use our Quick Submit link here:

out-of-your-mind-sometimes-thats-a-good-thing-the-good-men-project-1.png

2666.png

Do you have previously published work that you would like to syndicate on The Good Men Project? Click here:

out-of-your-mind-sometimes-thats-a-good-thing-the-good-men-project-2.png

Join our exclusive weekly “Call with the Publisher” — where community members are encouraged to discuss the issues of the week, get story ideas, meet other members and get known for their ideas? To get the call-in information, either join as a member or wait until you get a post published with us. Here are some examples of what we talk about on the calls.

Want to learn practical skills about how to be a better Writer, Editor or Platform Builder? Want to be a Rising Star in Media? Want to learn how to Create Social Change? We have classes in all of those areas.

While you’re at it, get connected with our social media:

2666.png

However, you engage with The Good Men Project—you can help lead this conversation about the changing roles of men in the 21st century. Join us!

bottom-of-post-widget-GMP-community-logo-1-2.png

Do you want to talk about how to have richer, more mindful, and enduring relationships?

2666.png

We have pioneered the largest worldwide conversation about what it means to be a good man in the 21st century. Your support of our work is inspiring and invaluable.

Photo credit: Shutterstock ID 553195012

Thank you
https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/out-of-your-mind-sometimes-thats-a-good-thing/